Four Reasons to Teach Science Well « Taking Science to the People
Four Reasons to Teach Science Well
1. Science is an enterprise that can be harnessed to improve quality of life on a global scale.
2. Science may provide a foundation for the development of language, logic, and problem-solving skills in the classroom
3. A democracy demands that its citizens make personal, community-based, and national decisions that involve scientific information.
4. For some students, science will become a lifelong vocation or avocation.
Another good reference from this publication:
Four Strands of Science Learning
Strand 1: Understanding Scientific Explanations
Strand 2: Generating Scientific Evidence
Strand 3: Reflecting on Scientific Knowledge
Strand 4: Participating Productively in Science
Types of Support Teachers Need to Teach Science Well:
- High-quality curriculum or supplementary materials
- Means by which to have their questions answered (texts, colleagues, outside experts)
- Time and support to work through science tasks as learners
- Opportunity to explore a variety of materials and experience problems that students might have
- Time to think about and assess the knowledge their students bring to class